sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Monday, April 21, 2003
 

Sweatergirl and the busy weekend

Whew. On Saturday, a friends and I demo-ed spinning at a mall. They were having some sort of animal day - there was a 3-day-old calf (awww), and lots of bunnies (in lots of breeds, too), and 3 week old goats and hair sheep - and an alpaca. My friend works with the alpaca guy, who was so nice to come with his entourage of animals for the kids to pet all day! We set up spinning, and soon had crowds of people mesmerized. I think I taught one or two people to actually spin - to the point that they were going to try to take some lessons or pull out the wheel they had from long ago. But I must have worked with over 50 kids - letting them treadle while I drafted or letting them try to draft while I treadled. It was really fun, but exhausting! I only got to spin about 80 yards of a 2-ply while I was there - what to do with 80 yards? Just put it in the basket with other oddballs? The roving we were spinning was beautiful - my friend was spinning a mix of black and white alpaca, I was spinning a heathery brown alpaca with fuschia and blue and green mixed in (that's it next door), and the new spinners were spinning a red-brown alpaca, which looked a lot like the alpaca on display.

I started the fronts of Sam - I think I am going with this wild and wacky Cotton Classic color combo.

Here are the fronts (so far):

I like that they echo each other, and I like that they are only 28 stitches across!

Sunday, I cooked all day - not that I needed to, I just don't have my timing down. Here's another recipe for you - I serve this with crackers:
4 oz. light ricotta cheese
2 oz. whipped cream cheese
1 "bunch" of scallions, sliced
4 baby carrots, shredded
1-2 tablespoons mustard
Dash of cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients together! This would be good with fresh herbs, too.




<< Home

Powered by Blogger