sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Wednesday, April 09, 2003
 

Sweatergirl takes stock

This Knitblog is (hopefully) going to help me get through projects. So - I thought I should account for my (active-ish) projects. Each day, I'll describe at least one...could take a while!

Name: Seamless sweater with Fair Isle bands
This is a sweater made purely from Mid-Michigan Knitters Guild yard sale finds. In May of each year, our guild has a day when we swap stashes. The sweater is made of Dale Tiur (bands only) and some other wool-mohair blend. Scrumptious. But - I'm undecided about how to end the sleeves and neck - just ribbing, or with more Fair Isle? And if Fair Isle, then the same band? A smaller one? Should the bands on the arms line up with the band on the body?

I really like how the hem turned out - I started the sweater with ribbing, but didn't like it much, so I valiantly cut it out and knit a facing and hemmed it - without having to undo the Fair Isle band. Neat trick, huh? I also like the color combos in the band. The band pattern is very similar to one in Kim Hargreave's A Season's Tale, in which it is used near the top of a raglan cardigan - see the inspiration sweater (Firth) here And it fits great, because I made it with the pattern from the seamless sweater workshop with Sarah Peasley, Handknitter.

Status: Started on the ride home for Christmas, but had to rip out all but the band when I returned (umm - my Fair Isle gauge was a lot tighter than the stockinette in the round gauge - doh!). Pattern on US5, reknit plain part on US4s. Decided it needs a zip neck - I-cord edging on the zipper opening. Did neck in ribbing, but may rip it out to do it in Fair Isle. Both sleeves are done below the elbow as of 4-9-03.

Name: Rusty Froehlich socks
Just a pair of socks for me out of Froehlich Wolle Blauband Maxi Ringel #7708. As expected, these socks have wide stripes! Well, actually, the size of the stripes varies by color. I got this yarn for Christmas from my mother-in-law - isn't she great? Well, she knits too and thought this yarn was pretty fun.

Status: Started over Christmas break on size 2 bamboo needles (a lot less break-y for me than the Brittany DPs. The first sock is done (short-row heel a la Priscilla Gibson-Roberts and round toe). The second sock is nealy to the toe as of 4-9-03.



<< Home

Powered by Blogger