sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Wednesday, April 23, 2003
 

Sweatergirl thwarted by bad directions

I was really enjoying the MMKG knit-in - good food, great people - but....(always the negative with you - I think this is a Yoda quote?)

Sam had been progressing nicely - and I got to the neckline on the fronts. Now, from the picture, you would never ever know that it's a v-neck. OK, I thought, that'll look alright. (Actually, I thought - ooh, less surface area for drool...can you tell I am not ready for kids yet?) But - I hate when patterns don't consider how the decreases will look. Well, maybe they did, but I didn't agree. If you look at the front of Sam, you've got 2 purl stitches, a 4-stitch cable, 2 purl stitches, a 2-stitch cable, then the zigzag cable. Here's a picture of the pattern:

I have to decrease 9 stitches. So - if I kept the 2 purl stitches on the edge, I eat into the zigzag cable by one stitch. Maybe I am supposed to leave one purl stitch on the edge and decrease. Decrease type is not specified. So - odds are, this thing is so small and cute that no one will notice/care, but I really want to do this right...

A second solution is to do a wide round neck, and BO 6 stitches at the neck, then decrease one stitch for three RS rows, one stitch in from the edge.

Sarah insists I am smarter than the pattern, but I am not so sure...

Ever been frustrated by incomplete patterns? Agh! Sometimes, you just want to trust the pattern, but I am always second-guessing them (and myself...)




<< Home

Powered by Blogger