sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Friday, May 09, 2003
 

Sweatergirl's summer 2003 IK review

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for!

I actually really like this Interweave Knits issue! First, it's got a project by one of the most talented lace designers/knitters, who just happens to be in the Mid-Michigan Knitters Guild - Faina Letoutchaia (my copy is autographed!). The Forest Path Stole is gorgeous. And don't wory about using alpaca - Faina and Sharon Winsauer (another amazing lace designer in our guild) work with it all the time - it's not a rough and ready garment, but it's a lace stole, and you aren't wearing it everywhere.

But I also like the idea of the lace garments. The square bodice pullover is quite elegant. I would make the stockinette a bit longer for myself, but I think it could be quite elegant. I also like the Rumplestilkskin Cardigan, but I think it makes the model look heavy, so I'm not sure it's for me. The summer stole is a neat idea - say, for someone who is going to be weating a strapless bridesmaid's dress in October in NYC...As soon as we pick out the color of the dresses, I will look into some elegant yarns. The wedding gown story is quite interseting, if a bit scary.

What makes the issue really worthwhile for me, though, is the Shimmer Aran, by Veronik Avery. I want one. Badly. It's now on the to do list. And my husband likes the Echo Lake Cardigan by Leigh Radford - sans zipper. He is not an exciting person to knit for...he even wants it in dark grey. Kathy Zimmerman always does a great job with cables, even though I won't make this particular item. There are some other interesting things - I'm not sure that any really sing out to be made immediately, but I keep the issues around and flip through - so who knows if any of them are in my future. All in all, a decent issue!




<< Home

Powered by Blogger