sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Thursday, June 12, 2003
 

Rain, rain, go away...

A curious fellow died one day and found himself waiting in the long line of judgment. As he stood there he noticed that some souls were allowed to march right through the pearly gates into Heaven. Others though, were led over to Satan who threw them into the burning pit. But every so often, instead of hurling a poor soul into the fire, Satan would toss a soul off to one side into a small pile. After watching Satan do this several times, the fellow's curiosity got the best of him. So he strolled over and asked Satan what he was doing. "Excuse me, Prince of Darkness," he said. "I'm waiting in line for judgment, but I couldn't help wondering, why are you tossing those people aside instead of flinging them into the Fires of Hell with the others?" "Ah, those . . ." Satan said with a groan. "They're all from Michigan. They're still too cold and wet to burn."

And back to business

Ginny asked about my sock toe. I am using Priscilla Gibson-Roberts' (heretofore PGR) instructions for a short-row heel and toe. The heel and toe are constructed in exactly the same manner. It seems weird, but just trust her. The first place I read about these socks was in Interweave Knits (IK) Fall 2000; the pattern was called Priscilla's Dream Socks. I know this issue is out of print, but I love it (It's also got the Welcome Back, Old Friend aran that I have been working on). The techniques are also explained in PGR's book Simple Socks, Plain and Fancy and in several IK sock patterns since - Spring 2003 and Spring 2002 (maybe others?). That brings up the question of whether I like them. Well, yes - for several reasons, none of which is fit. I don't think they hug the heel particularly, as a gussetted heel does. But - they are very easy, once you have done it once. I never need instructions (but I guess I could get to that point with other heels). If you like contrasting heels, though, I think this is the way to go, unless you do an afterthought or peasant heel. I never was too fond of the contrasting heel flap thing. So, if I am working in a self-patterning yarn, or for Christmas stockings, I use PGR's heels.

The first socks I ever made (the first knitted thing that I made that turned out well - excepting a scarf) were the Mamluke Socks from Folk Socks. They also have a short-row heel, but it is very different, and doesn't fit me terribly well, but looks really cool. Folk Socks is the first knitting book I ever bought, and it may still be one of my favorites.




<< Home

Powered by Blogger