sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Wednesday, June 04, 2003
 

Sweatergirl discovers the cure for TPBS

As I mentioned yesterday, I was suffering from stalled projects - terminal project boredom syndrome(TPBS). Well, I have cured it...I started a new project last night. Oh, the temptation! I had been thinking of this project since Christmas, having received the book Celtic Knits as a gift. There is an elegant ballerina-style wrap sweater with a tiny shawl collar that had been calling my name. Not very Celtic. It actually looks a lot like some baby sweaters I have seen. Gauge - 28 st/4 inches - finer than anything I've ever knit (excepting socks). I bought yarn for this sweater on KnitSwap back in February - GGH Merino Soft, a fingering-weight superwash merino, in a bright plum/dull magenta. (This color is discontinued, but Red Bird Knits is a good vendor who has this yarn.) I have about an inch and a half of the back done. Boy, is it lovely! But not much to show. The Snail's Pace Sweater is born.

Blog angst: I had a hard time starting the sweater. I thought it wouldn't be a good blog sweater - too slow, all stockinette, etc. I was surprised that I might consider changing my knitting just because of my blog. But - then I remembered - I did pull out both the Dale and the Old Friend because of the blog, so there are pros and cons to this whole knitting-journal thing.

Bliss rant/knitting history: I love Debbie Bliss's designs, but why no schematics? And, although this sweater is not cabled, why no charts for cables? (These factors have been pushing me toward Kim Hargreaves's patterns.) I was bemoaning this at the Knit-In, but some of the more experienced knitters, in the "uphill-both-ways" style, said that charts were a relatively new innovation. All patterns used to be written out, and you followed the directions to see what you got. Sometimes patterns had no pictures, and finished size wasn't always listed. I guess I am a bit spoiled, having started knitting in the mid-90s. I am very appreciative of charts and schematics now! Thank you to all the designers who work in both words and charts!

Blogger stuff: Is the page loading faster? I seem to have fewer reloads on blogspot pages lately...




<< Home

Powered by Blogger