sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Monday, June 09, 2003
 

Sweatergirl's SOAR-ing!

Oh yeah, baby! I'm going to SOAR (the SpinOff Autumn Retreat) this fall! This is an exciting development; I have wanted to go for, like, forever, but now that I can knock off the cost of a flight since it is only a 3-hour (?) drive away, the cost is more reasonable for me. Anyone going/wanna bunk together? Oh boy.

I am just going for the workshop and am taking "Spinning 201" with Rudy Amann. Here's the description: "This workshop is for spinners who have recently learned how to spin and are now ready to try new challenges to increase their skills. It is also, a workshop for spinners with several years of experience who want some new ideas to revitalize their spinning. Different techniques of spinning and drafting will be practiced, plus experimenting with fine, medium, and long wools, and different fiber preparations. Spinning singles for use as singles and different ways of plying will also be practiced." I have been spinning for six years or so, but still spin pretty consistently the same way. This should really halp me expand my choices. Coolness.

So that's the most exciting thing about this weekend. I spent most of the weekend trying to find the bed in the combo guest/yarn room. Of course, I happened upon a few projects along the way, and I am nearly done a second sock - should be able to do the toe tonight and wear them soon. Yippee!

I also swatched (for real) for the Snail Sweater - on 3.0 mm needles, 32 st/4 in, and on 3.5 mm needles, 26 st/4 in. I am aiming for 28 st/4 in. I don't have any 3.25 mm needles, but I hope to purchase today. Ugh. I thought I had every needle known to knitter-kind.

Also went shopping for a car and a mattress. The mattress-shopping experience was BY FAR the worst shopping experience ever. Worse than buying a house. At one place, the salesman said, "Most mattress covers are made of polyester, but this one is made of crushed velvet." So I say, "Well, what's the fiber? Rayon, cotton, polyester microfiber, silk (could have been for the price!)?" He looked at me like I was a moron and repeated, "Velvet. Crushed velvet." I wonder how many people he sells on that one. Not many knitters/spinners/sewers. Dork.

If you are still reading, you deserve a treat! Summer Knitty is out, and Bonne Marie (of ChicKnits) has a very good article on short rows for us sweatergirls out there...




<< Home

Powered by Blogger