sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Tuesday, June 10, 2003
 

Sweatergirl's swatching success and scintillating socks

I got the 3.25 mm needles, and I got gauge! To just push the blame to something outside myself (I'm only human), there are many "size 3" needles. Which I didn't realize, because I usually work in the US 8 (5.0 mm) range, where things are more standard. Here's my circular solution's rendition:

My Boye needle gauge has US 1 = 2.25 mm, US 2 = 2.75 mm, US 3 = 3 1/8 mm (weird!)

The Addi needle package has US 1 = 2.5 mm, US 2 = 3.0 mm, US 3 = 3.25 mm

What's a girl to do? By the way, tha pattern did actually call for US 3/3.25 mm needles. Which is what I ended up using. I just used a lot of other "US 3"s first. So, children, today we have learned to read the instructions. Now can I roll out my mat and take a nap on the floor?

I am nearly done the second sock of a pair. Whoopee! I know many people love making socks, but I dunno. I love wearing them though, so I usually have a pair on the needles. I'm just not too aggressive about knitting them usually. I am using Priscilla Gibson-Roberts's heel-toe package, so I thought I would show you what it looks like in progress. I started the toe across the bottom, and gradually worked fewer and fewer stitches until getting to the point of the toe, then I gradually work more and more stitches. She uses a yarn-over technique to prevent holes. It works, but it's a little fidgety. Here's what it looks like in progress - extra needles for illustration purposes (grey stitches on sides are waiting to be worked):

Here is the finished toe (I cheated - this is from the first sock):

My package from overstock.com came. Just the sachets though. I like the way they smell, but my hubby doesn't. So - if you don't like Aveda products/strong herbal smells, these may not be for you. Unfortunately, my books must be coming separately. I neglected to mention Chris's adorable booty baby-booties project. Sooooo cute! She also did some ducky ones - awwww!




<< Home

Powered by Blogger