sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Wednesday, July 02, 2003
 

A curmudgeonly Sweatergirl

I read on Purls Before Swine that she thinks the YO dishcloth should be abolished as a beginning knitting project. I agree - I think its only advantage is that the supplies are inexpensive. I just know if I had started with that as a project, I would never have wanted to knit again. I hate knitting with cotton - and for beginners, it is much less forgiving than many other fibers. What do I recommend as a first project? Why, Sarah's Beginning Knitting pillow, of course! There are a lot of skills taught in that pillow pattern & class.

Otherwise - a scarf. Start with garter stitch and after a few ridges, you can switch to stockinette bordered with garter. In my first project, we even threw in some intarsia stripes (garter stitch was one color through whole scarf). I was getting pretty good at knitting (and recognizing twisted stitches) by the end of my five-foot-long scarf!

Otherwise - something you really want to knit! At least you'll maintain interest and finish it. Check out Sweater Project - cool stuff, eh? He's taken on an Aran as his first big project - good for him. Maybe you really want to make a baby sweater for a friend. Or maybe you really want a cool pair of socks.

What was your first project? Would you use it to teach someone to knit?

A great second project, I think, is a hat to go with your scarf! You learn decreasing and maybe ribbing. Of course, I love making and wearing hats - I will have to do a hat fashion show someday. Have you ever seen Yossel's Toessels? What a creative guy.

Anyway - it's just knitting, so take a chance. People have been doing it for thousands of years. Get some good instructions, and a knitter, if possible (you'd be amazed at how many people know how to knit, even if they don't knit regularly - my mother-in-law and a sorority sister were big helps, and Vogue Knitting and Folk Socks were good references).

I am giving up on Paulina for now - I couldn't seem to "get gauge". Well, I could get stitch gauge, but not row gauge, and I was probably smooshing the ribbing or something. So the Smart Cotton will retire to the yarn room for a while. Besides, I have to make an Aran for Baby Aidan. From Knitting for Baby. Which, by the way, Marcia at Purls before Swine has made too.




<< Home

Powered by Blogger