sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Wednesday, July 09, 2003
 

Sweatergirl dances for joy!

Yay! I am so happy! Why? Because I have caught up on reading knitting blogs! I started this knitblog because I loved reading everyone else's. But, well, I just hadn't been able to keep up, so I went to reading the A-K one day and the L-Z the next day. But after being out of town for a week and then getting buried in the yarn avalanche that is my stash, I was so far behind. But no longer!

I started to do a roundup of posts, but there were just so many good things going on in the knitblogging world. So just one - I loved Michelle's recap of the Smithsonian Folklife festival. Oh, and congrats to Betsy on her wedding and Matt and Rob on their new place. Oh, and I always love when the gals at brainylady and hairball take on the news.

Silly sight: I went to the local convenience store to buy some cookies for a meeting today. The guy that rung up the purchases had a big sticker on his chest that said "SNICKERDOODLE". Apparently that is the cookie of the day, but it sure looked like a name tag to me. Poor guy.

Sally Ride's doing science camps. She's a great role model - but. I've done the whole science camp thing, and I guess I am a scientist, so maybe it works, but the articles always sound a little silly. While getting girls to study science is a good idea, I'm not sure science camps show what being a scientist is about (or at least, the activites highlighted in articles about science camps...). What science camps do is get you into a good school, and maybe get you a scholarship, because all the schools want girls who want to study science. Sorry for being a cynic. But bet your bippy that those girls at the camp know it. Oh, and for me, it netted me a week or two or five away from my parents in those adolescent years.

Tonight, I doubt I will get to knit - I am working on favors for my little sister's wedding shower, which is at a place called Lavender Hall. I'm making groups of lavender sachets. Which are quite easy to sew, but I'd rather be knitting, of course!

And speaking of showers, I got invited to a baby shower this weekend - not as a guest, but as a knitting instructor! (Actually, Sarah was invited, but since she'll be at knitting camp, she asked me if I would do it). They want to learn to knit, and they'll be making garter-stitch squares that I'll sew together as a baby blanket. Kinda neat, eh? Wish me luck! There's potential to addict fifteen more people to knitting!




<< Home

Powered by Blogger