sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Monday, August 25, 2003
 

Not so close encounters

Of the ovine kind...

Steve and I went for a drive on Sunday and stopped in to see Debbi and her assorted animals. Her sheep are the cutest! But I must have spooked them, as they ran away and stood very still...kind of funny as they only had about 50 feet to run and we could still see them, of course. Debbi recently had them sheared and she showed me their fleeces - very nice color and texture. Layla, the Boston Terrier, was there too, running in circles in her little porta-pool. I thought we might get one for our pups, but Steve thought Bear would eat it (I'm talking the pool, not the Boston Terrier here), as she has eaten every other plastic thing in our yard. I had to concede on that point.

Another sheep encounter - our family reunion was at Winterfound Farm, my cousin's farm in Vermont. She's got the happiest sheep - Jacobs, Border Leicesters, Hampshire, and RomneyxBL. And the stubbornest donkeys. The Jacobs are their own flock; the three of them don't want to associate with the other, non-endagered, sheep breeds. Kind of funny. Need more info on sheep breeds? Try the OK State page - a great resource. And if anyone would like to buy a fleece from these happy sheep...let me know! I've spun three so far - two white and one colored. They process very well. I am thinking of getting another, but having it spun at Stonehedge Fiber Mill. Not enough spinning time.

And of the knitting kind

Aaaaaagh! Only FIVE MORE ROWS to the top of the Old Friend sleeve. I just konked out last night and could not finish. When will it END?




<< Home

Powered by Blogger