sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Thursday, August 28, 2003
 

Sweatergirl shopping from the stash

Whew! Day 1 of the buy-no-yarn challenge is completed. I did some stash-shopping, and swatched for Martha. I need to reswatch with a smaller needle (probably US 4). But - I thought it was kind of a neat stitch pattern and I wanted to share. The filler columns are garter stitch, and the columns that look cabled actually aren't. On the first RS row, you slip 5 stitches with the yarn in front, and on the next right side row, you knit across to the center of the column, then pick up the "float" (the yarn you slipped in front of the last RS row) from the bottom and knit it together with that third (center) stitch. I'm trying not to violate copyright here! If I give the stitch pattern from memory, is that ok?

Row 1 (RS): K3, *slip 5 stitches purlwise with yarn in front, K3*
Row 2 (WS): K3, *P5, K3*
Row 3 (RS): K3, *K2, lift "float" from bottom and knit together with stitch, K2, K3*
Row 4 (WS): K3, *P5, K3*

I'm swatching and knitting in Rowan Felted Tweed, in color Corn (exactly as shown). The yarn is so lightweight - I like it a lot.

But I will likely put this project aside for a while. The stitch is not as mindless as I thought it would be - you have to be careful about your float length. And I want to finish the Snail's Pace Sweater and start the body of St. Brigid.




<< Home

Powered by Blogger