sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Friday, November 14, 2003
 

Sweatergirl makes it through another week

And so does Rupert (Survivor). Hurrah! TGIF. This week has been a doozy. But - I did find some comfy, happy knitting to indulge in - alison suggested mittens (see her page for pattern links!), and I did have some yarn set aside to do a hat/scarf/mitten set. It's GGH Venus, bought about a year ago from elann.com, in black and 2 shades of grey. It's 70% kid mohair and 30% nylon in a knitted tube construction - neat. I am a sucker for knitted-tube yarn.

Why I like making hats (and tend to dislike knitting socks - a study in contrasts):

  • Most adults' heads are in some reasonable, stretchable range of sizes.
  • Hats never have to fit inside shoes - I hope. So you can use a thick yarn and finish quickly.
  • Plus, a bulky yarn tends to be warmer...
  • Didn't your mom tell you that if you keep your head warm, you'll stay warm? Definitely a necessity for walking around campus and/or NYC in winter.
  • There's no such thing as "Second Hat Syndrome".
  • You don't have to wear see-through boots to get compliments on your handiwork.
  • You don't have to wash a hat everytime you wear it.
  • I like wearing hats (I don't worry about hat hair since I don't do my hair...). This goes back to grade school, where my friend and I started a Ministry of Silly Hats. We had probably watched way more Monty Python than your average third-graders...

    I knit this at about 2.75 st/in, and started it late Wednesday night and finished it this AM. I just need to sew the "hem" up. Wow. I might need to rip out a bit at the top (Ann Budd done me wrong), but it's only a few rows.

    I would not feel that way about ripping out a few rows of Aberlemno. Half of another repeat added...

    I've had to take some time out of actual knitting to get a proto-webpage for our knitting guild done. Successfully avoiding putting together a handout for our program next Tuesday...gotta do that over the weekend.

    As for other fun projects - Sheryl suggested Christmas stockings - I might just have to get one underway for the Bump. Last year I made stockings for S and me based on "Latvian Mittens" - very fun. I got to try new techniques at a not-quite-so-small gauge. Ginny and Sheryl both liked the Round Trip (looks like fun, but I owuld actually have to buy a Knitter's magazine!), but Ginny is working on a cool Tilt sweater from knitty.com. Morgan is liking the short row sweater from IK Fall 2003 - I've thought about swatching for this one, but have to discover the right yarn in my stash. And Rachael suggested making cookies. I went halfway and just made cookie dough - yum!

    Happy Friday to all - Fresh Air has come through with a (rerun of a) Colin Firth interview today - great to lunch through!




  • << Home

    Powered by Blogger