sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Friday, November 07, 2003
 

Sweatergirl's book reviews

Before SOAR, I went on a little book-shopping spree. And here's what I got and what I think:

Traditional Fair Isle Knitting by Sheila McGregor

Dover has reprinted this classic from 1982 in a soft-cover edition. For all those frantically bidding on Alice Starmore's Charts for Color Knitting - try this first. It's not nearly as big, but I dare you to exploit all the pattern combinations in this book! There's a good history section, and the techniques section includes dimensions for a wooly board. But I really like the sections on design and color, where the author deconstructs garments, explaining color and pattern choice. There are also lots of charts - about 70 pages. You got yer trees, yer allovers, yer peeries, yer alphabet, and yer XO pattens. And snowflakes and stars and anchors...

This is a fabulous resource, even for just adding border patterns to hats & mittens - I'm not QUITE ready to design a Fair Isle sweater...Just give me time though!

And - perhaps best of all - this book is widely available (I got mine from Needle Arts Book Shop) for the low low price of only $14.95. The price of, like, three felted bag patterns. So what are you waiting for? Show Dover how much we love them for bringing back the classics!

Oh, and while you're at the Needle Arts Book Shop, think about pre-ordering Knitting in the Old Way - another oldy-moldy with so much information on its way to reprint. Marsha gives free shipping on titles ordered before publication!

Baby Knits from Dale of Norway

Ok - firstoff - I love that this is published by "Damm Hobby Books". But, anyhow, these little sweaters and leggings and hats and such are just tooo darn cute. All patterns are for Dale Baby Ull - so the sweater patterns start with casting on about 200 stitches. But all those little stitches give the Dale designers lots of room to design. I knew I needed this book after seeing Nanette's bunny sweater. But I have also always loved the ladybug sweater, recently knit by alison at the blue blog. And don't you think Bump and I need matching Sirdal sweaters? (Nah, me neither - that would just be too cute). Anyway - if you know enough in advance that's there's a special kid coming - think about a Baby Dale sweater. And if you've got this book, you don't have to hunt through all those Dale magazines you've already got...But if you already know your DaleBaby collection - this book is surely full of duplicates and probably not worth the cost.

Style Your Own Kids' Knits

I bought this for my mother-in-law last Christmas, because I got tired of her asking for charts of boats or spiders or what not. So - there are a lot of intarsia charts for common things kids might want on sweaters. But there are also a set of basic sweaters written for worsted weignt yarn for ages 3 months to 10 years. Each basic sweater has instructions for pullovers and cardigans with V-necks or crewnecks. Then there's sections on different collars, pockets, bands, and fasteners. And a nice stitch library with the aformentioned intarsia designs as well as clear photos and instructions for knit-purl patterns, lace patterns, and lots of border treatments. The book includes enough pictures of darling kids in sweaters with a variety of treatments to help you visualize combinations. So next time your kid (or your mother-in-law) needs an airplane or apple-tree sweater - you've got the tools to design it. Yay, you!

Brief Survivor rant

Man, I thought this was gonna be Jon's week...Argh. Taking him into the merge...I don't know if that was the wisest strategy...




<< Home

Powered by Blogger