sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Monday, December 22, 2003
 

Knitting? Who has time?

Not a lot of knitting this weekend - I finished knitting Aidan's Aran on Saturday morning but haven't done the "finishing" yet. I bought ribbon for the stockings - but haven't attached it yet. I avoided the Dale. And I decided that I will take Anjuli as car knitting on our trip. I need to decide what else to take, but I think it will just be socks that I have started - one pair from Shepherd Sport and one from Opal. I've probably got a total of 40 hours in the car in the next week or two - but I do get bored of knitting after a bit.

I also bought some gifts for a knitter - Steve's mom is getting a copy of Jean Frost's Jackets and a skein of Mountain Colors Bearfoot - this stuff feels WONDERFUL.

I braved the mall to finish buying gifts for family, and finished most of the Christmas cards last night. I hope. I lost my Palm address book along the way this year, and I hope I had everyone's address re-entered. I sewed a dog bed for Bear - an exercise in futility, as she has devoured the last two. I used that awful pillow ticking stuff this time, and I hope this lasts a bit. No more polar fleece for Bear. It is just too tasty. I also got engrossed in the book I bought to read OVER vacation (not BEFORE vacation - oh well) - She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. Off to the library tonight to find a book to read OVER vacation.

We spent an afternoon at the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. We went to see the "Bond, James Bond" exhibit before it closes at the end of the year. I really love the Bond movies - and what they say about American culture throughout time. But - I was really disappointed with the exhibit. It was too loud, and even though the exhibit was nearly empty, they tried to push you through. Not giving enough time to look at the objects and renderings. I was really disappointed that, given how much was spent on lighting and monitors, the sound design was so poor. It made the film clips nearly irrelevant.

Henry Ford was, well, a bit eccentric. I guess it's okay though. He collected lots of things related to technological development and to "old time" America. Including buildings. Steve's favorite part of the museum is the section of engines and water pumps - pumps to drain mines and such. Huge things. I like the sheepies and the oxen - especially when they are trying to plow with them (the oxen. The sheep don't really do much). Really makes me respect the people who busted the sod. The museum has a lot of stuff, but not a ton of interpretive material. And then, what is there, tends to be aimed at a grade-school audience, which is probably a huge group of visitors (and they have a charter school there). But anyway, they redesigned and expanded the flight section, which is nice because previously they had a lot of objects in a small space with just cards naming/dating the objects.

We also headed over to Greenfield Village, the collection of buildings, which was decorated for the holidays. GV is also totally redone since we had last been there. But I couldn't take all the Christmas baking in the homes. I am just hungry all the time, and walking into houses filled with candy and coconut cake and freshly-baked pretzels was too much! Plus, the candy store was closed, so nowhere to pick up some "penny candy". A good weekend. Just not a lot of knitting to showcase!




<< Home

Powered by Blogger