sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Wednesday, January 14, 2004
 

Handknitter to the rescue!

Sarah has the most amazing knitting library, and she loaned me two awesome books that have info on making frog closures - 50 Heirloom Buttons to Make and Knitted Embellishments. This is quite exciting. All the frogs look a little complex, but not hard. Whew!

50 Heirloom Buttons to Make: A Gallery of Decorative Fabric, Needle-Lace, Crochet, and Ribbon and Braid Closures You Can Create Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments: 350 Appliques, Borders, Cords and More

Kathy also suggested Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments. Knitted Embellishments is quite a lovely book that I probably overlooked in the past - perhaps I was still in the "must acquire beautiful pattern books" phase of book aquisition. Ok - I still am in that phase, but now, I don't require beautiful sweaters to buy a knitting book. I am going to enjoy looking through these fer sure. I might need to acquire Nicky's book though. Besides, researching frogs will keep me from finishing an intarsia handout for next Tuesday's guild program...

In random news, I am serving on a jury this week and am finding it fascinating. I learned at least one new term - I had never heard of a "Philadelphia Lawyer" before...Had you? It can be either a compliment or a pejorative, so it's an odd duck. The story: Andrew Hamilton (a lawyer from Philadelphia) was an early defender of free speech and freedom of the press in the American colonies. He successfully defended a newspaper printer/editor against politically-based libel charges using a jury-nullification strategy. The Philadelphia Bar Foundation hosts an annual Andrew Hamilton Ball to honor (?) the guy for whom the term was coined and the heritage of the "Philadelphia Lawyer".




<< Home

Powered by Blogger