sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Monday, January 05, 2004
 

Sweatergirl finds her lost knitting time

I just finished a long post and Blogger ate it. I know it happens to all of us, but, wah!

First off - Sharon from our guild recently started a blog, Knitknacks. Check it out!

Here's my favorite Christmas shot - my little brother with the Christmas dinosaur. Huh? Well, my mom has a LOT of Christmas stuffed animals. Shh! He's waiting for Santa to come...

Ok - he's almost 18, but he IS the baby of the family.

Stockings were well-received. Strangely, my Dad was over-the-top impressed. But not enough to give me a ride in the Model T. I was mortified to discover (while sewing on the ribbon hangers) that the heel of the Sirdal stocking was not centered on the pattern. But I don't think anyone will ever know. S could hardly even see it after much gesturing and explaining, and he's been looking at my knitting and picking out errors for 7 years or so. Other gifts were also well-received - whew!

Anyway - I'm glad to be home, but I did get a lot of knitting done in the car and otherwise. So there's a lot of progress on Anjuli and a new pair of gloves. Anjuli needs a lot of end-weaving, and I need to figure out the sleeves (are they not wide enough, or just not attached to the body very well?). But I am happy to have much more done.

The gloves are soft and comfy - thanks to the starting the pinky a few rounds before the rest of the fingers (last pair of gloves doesn't fit nearly as well). They are very bland-looking though - just grey. Started a hat to match. Again - more grey.

Yes, my thumbs must be that long. Weird. And the right pinky isn't deformed, it just looks that way.

Inserted 1/6: I forgot to thank Lisa for being a shining beacon of glove. Without her gloves (and catchy blog entry titles of transformed song titles, I wouldn't have had the phrase "All you need is glove" in my head while packing for the trip...)

I also participated in the Great Yarn Migration, in which all of the yarn from the Fire Truck Room (the baby-to-be's room-to-be) is moving to the basement. I think we have figured out how to keep the dust from the Workshop part of the basement out of the Yarn Cellar part of the basement, so I should be able to have a comfy (and sawdust-free) place to peruse my collection. As part of the Great Yarn Migration, I numbered and inventoried each box - yow. 29 project boxes so far - there would have been more, but I guess my quest for organization is not original, and all of "my" containers were sold out from several stores by Sunday. It's a lot of yarn. But I love nearly all of it. And I really hope this system sticks. Anyhow - it should keep my from buying yarn for a while. The only thing I am really craving is some Baby Ull, but I am not ready to start a Baby Ull project yet, so I will wait until I have the deck cleared.

One happy outcome of the Great Yarn Migration - I found some superwash wool that I might be able to use for a baby blankie - I am not happy with the sheen on the acrylic that I have been knitting with or with the way it doesn't slide on my needles. Luckily - gauge is not terribly important in a blankie. It probably won't wash or wear as well, so maybe it won't get used much, but I am going to like the product and the process so much better. And it would use up most of box 17.

I am seriously debating whether to work on the baby blankie or to go back to Aberlemno or to St. Brigid (these are all follow-the-chart projects, in case they seem unrelated - lace, Fair Isle, and cables, respectively). Mostly, I feel like I should knit SOMETHING for the Bump, but it would be nice to finish something (or get closer to finishing something) rather than start something new. Besides, I am having St. Brigid envy, since TrixieChick finished hers...I've seen it in person and it is gorgeous!




<< Home

Powered by Blogger