sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Wednesday, February 18, 2004
 

Sweatergirl gets back to work

So after quite the spate of finished projects (for me), I was afflicted with startitis. Fortunately, I was able to channel that into a project that actually needs to be done! MMKG is doing a sock exchange at the May meeting, after a program on fitting socks way back in November(?). We measured our feet and got the measurements of a random, secret sock buddy. So I cast on for my sock buddy's socks. I had, in my stash, a great combo of yarns from Wool in the Woods, purchased, um, a long time ago at The Mannings (vacation yarn shopping). So long that I think my colorways are discontinued (or are they collectors' items?). One yarn is a relatively solid color alpaca, and the other is a variegated mohair blend. But how to combine? They are pretty thick for socks, and warm fibers anyway, so color stranding was out. I thought about some sort of slip-stitch pattern or something, but I ended up with - wait for it - stripes. Wow. How boring is that? At least I snuck a fibbonacci sequence in there. They are looking really nice. And moving quickly, at only 48 stitches around (vs. my usual sock-weight 72 stitches). I am almost to the heel - time to make some real decisions. I don't think I want to carry the stripes into the foot because of the seam line issue, so I am trying to decide on the right heel to use to make the transition.

Anyhow - I never really hear any buzz on Wool in the Woods, but the yarns are quite nice, and I love the colors I am using - the repeat in the variegated is just right - not too long, not too short.

The guild program last night was on knitting software - put together by Lynn and Sharon (great job, guys!). A few people had requested such a program, and we aim to please. I hadn't ever thought seriously about using software for sock/sweater design, having a nice set of basic shape patterns, but might look into it - lots more options in these programs than in my "blanks", and all in one place instead of in many books.




<< Home

Powered by Blogger