sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Tuesday, March 16, 2004
 

Sweatergirl's superstitiousness

Whew! I made it through the Ides of March. Ok - I am not a superstitious person generally, but lately...well, I'm not necessarily (just) myself. Maybe the Bump is a superstitious kid.

I was ominously expecting to go into labor yesterday just because of a confluence of weird signs:

  • I grocery-shopped on Saturday like they were discontinuing the idea of food.
  • I moved all the dining room rugs and furniture on Sunday to MOP(!?!) under where the rug was?? (I am a lifelong overlooker when it comes to house-cleanliness.)
  • S was on a 10-hr car trip, headed to Philadelphia for a week.
  • It's officially 1 month till the big date.
  • And, oh yeah, I was bewaring the Ides of March - which i realize has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

    All this despite the fact that I am convinced I will deliver late...well, it was just a weird day.

    Ok, for the Grammar Avengers who might be out there - the first paragraph of a front-page story about the governor's "plan" to increase the NUMBER of college graduates (or percent of adults that have college degrees) in the state (from the student newspaper - written and edited by college students):

    "Gov. Jennifer Granholm announced Monday that she plans to create a commission focused on increasing the amount of college graduates in Michigan."

    Emphasis added - but shouldn't that not be "amount", but "number"? Or have the rules changed since Sister Anne drilled me in third grade? Pot, kettle, and all that, but c'mon - this is formal writing - and not only that - but the article is about the value of a college education! Grr. I am so glad that I don't teach these kids, or I might end up doing something like this.

    Oh - knitting? I did some, I suppose. More baby-knitting...not much to photograph. It's all tiny. But I did start and finish an afghan square for MMKG's charity projects. I had been thinking of making this (from VK fall 2002):

    So I made this:

    Dang heathered yarn - hard to photograph. The pattern is all done with increases and decreases, not cabling like I had suspected. See how it sort of bulges downward? It was worth swatching, because I am not sure the hemline will be totally okay with me, should I make the sweater. It is sort of like a shirt-tail, maybe. It doesn't show in the picture at all, but the model is sitting. To VK's credit - they do show this in the schematic of the sweater. What do you think? But it may not work for our afghan! Oh well.

    Anyway - this is the same issue of VK that has this sweater designed by Kristin Nicholas, recently knit by Geane: (nice picture of front here.

    Also on my I-want-this-and-I-already-have-the-yarn list! This is one of my favorite VK issues.




  • << Home

    Powered by Blogger