sweatergirl - adventures in knitting
Monday, April 05, 2004
 

Black and white and red all over

Argh - I bought more yarn. This no-yarn-pact thing is just not working lately. I need to stay out of yarn stores (or all stores) when I am upset.

Anyway, I bought black and white Cotton Classic to start my version of the Union Jack sweater featured in Debbie Bliss's Nautical Knits for Kids. It is, appropriately, a balck sweater with a Union Jack intarsia-ed across the front. S is in a British car club (ok, British Motoring Club), and we thought the kid needs a sweater to wear to events! Of course, she can't ride in said British car, as it is a 30-year-old-and-likely-terribly-unsafe-two-seater. But at least she will be appropriately dressed when we arrive in the follow-along vehicle.

Back to knitting stuff - Said black and white yarn (they were sold out of red and an appropriate blue) was purchased at the Yarn Garden in Charlotte, which is a delightful store. I have to remember to go there more often. Especially when they get into their new, larger space in a few weeks! Kim, the owner, was really helpful and interested, and let me pick her next colors for blue and red bags of Cotton Classic, despite the fact that I only need one ball of each AND that I got there only twenty minutes before closing AND I touched, like, everything in the store. And I never knew how many colors Cotton Classic comes in: about 160. Wow.

I also got a good start on Anouk, from the spring Knitty. My version is made with leftovers of the Sam sweater, in fun Cotton Classic colors. It is insanely tiny and cute in the 3-month size. And a quick knit. Gotta love these tiny projects.

Not sure about the intarsia pockets yet - I am not having much luck with the slippery cotton yarn for such small intarsia sections. So I am debating either duplicate-stitching the flowers or perhaps just adding striped pockets. But the flowers are so cute. Tune in tomorrow...




<< Home

Powered by Blogger